Things for smooth sailing;
1. Comfortable shoes – There’s a lot of walking and standing involved. Wear comfortable shoes, your feet will thank you later. Trust me. And comfortable doesn’t mean wearing your joggers or flip-flops.
2. Comfortable clothes – Dress is primarily smart casual or corporate. Make sure you feel comfortable there’s nothing worse that walking around all day in something that feels too tight. Bring an extra jacket or cardigan. Sitting for hours in air-conditioning can leave you feeling chilled.
3. Time out – Go for a walk if you feel you’ve been bamboozled by the hype of activity. The buzz of hundreds of women can be overwhelming on it’s own, let alone the full days of workshops. If you need a break or some ‘you time’, don’t hesitate – take it.
4. Drinking – (1) If you do drink alcohol…know your limit. Be responsible. (2) Make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day, drink plenty of water.
5. Business Cards – Keep some in your bag. It’s an easier way of exchanging info with new friends. Have one on the ready for when you are pitching to an editor or agent, they may ask for one.
I will add one more thing here – Enjoy it!! Conference is such an inspiring place to be and everyone is supportive and friendly. Make the most of it and above all smile and be happy.
P.s. Be warned…the Aussie gals like hugs.